Caroline Minuscule: Transcription
Transcribe the first 17 lines in column 2.
Hints and helps
This 9th-century Bible from Tours has good word separation and fairly clear letters, but it has a few early-Caroline features that may cause confusion. In particular, watch out for three forms of a:
an ordinary Caroline a with a curved sloping stroke and a small lobe on the left:
an a that looks like cc and is liable to confusion with u, as here: = ula
an a that resembles an o plus a c, which this scribe uses in ligature following a pointy-shouldered r: = ra
Reminder: recording scribal alterations
This exercise gives you a chance to try out the conventions we introduced in the Transcription Basics lesson for recording alterations to the original text.
This transcription passage contains one place where the scribe erased two letters because he had written them twice by mistake, and another place where he seems to have erased a letter at the beginning of a line. Put the letters that were erased, if you can make them out, inside square brackets: [ ]. If you can't make them out, leave a blank space between the brackets to indicate that something has been erased.
There is also one place where the scribe, or a corrector, inserted a letter that had been left out. You should indicate a scribal insertion above the line by putting the inserted letter between outward-leaning slash marks: \ /
Note on punctuation: This scribe uses a variety of punctuation symbols that are hard to reproduce typographically. For this exercise, just use a period each time the scribe inserts one of his punctuation marks.
Transcribe lines 1-17 from the second column.St. Gallen, Stiftsbibliothek, Cod. Sang. 75, p. 521. (www.e‑codices.unifr.ch)
1. OSculetur me osculo oris sui
2. quia meliora sunt ubera tua
3. uino flagrantia unguentis op(-)
4. timis. Oleum effusum nomen tuum
5. ideo adulescentulae dilexerunt te. trahe me
6. post te. curremus in odorem unguentorum
7. tuorum. Introduxit me rex in cellaria sua.
8. exultabimus et laetabimur in te. memores
9. [es] uberum tuorum. sup(er) uinum recti diligunt te.
10. VOX SYNAGOGAE
11. Nigra sum sed formosa filiae hierusa(-)
12. lem sicut tabernacula caedar. sicut
13. [ ]pellis salomon\i/s. Nolite me considerare
14. quod fusca sim. quia decoloraruit me sol. filii
15. matris meae pugnauerunt contra me.
16. posuerunt me custodem in uineis. Uine(-)
17. am meam non custodiui. VOX ECCLESIAE