vHMML contains both open access and copyrighted material.
The textual content of vHMML School and Folio are available for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0).
The manuscript metadata in vHMML Reading Room is available for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (CC BY 4.0).
The code that runs vHMML is available at no cost on Github for reuse under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC 4.0).
The images of manuscripts or printed items in vHMML are used with the permission of the libraries that hold the original objects. While some of those libraries allow free use of images of their holdings, most do not.
The following institutions have given permission for images of their manuscripts or printed works to be used on vHMML but retain all rights related to those images:
- Libraries photographed in partnership with HMML
- Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana
- Bodleian Library, Oxford
- The British Library Board, London
- Ville de Laon, Bibliothèque Municipale
The following institutions have allowed use of images of their manuscripts or printed items under Creative Commons Licenses. Details of licensing and images should be obtained from the institutions:
- Hill Museum & Manuscript Library (HMML), Saint John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota (note that this applies only to images of manuscripts or printed books that are owned by HMML, not to those photographed by HMML in other libraries)
- Libraries of Switzerland in e-codices
- Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, Vienna (via the Bibliotheca Laureshamensis — digital: Virtual Monastic Library of Lorsch)
- Walters Art Museum, Baltimore, Maryland
For questions or if you want clarification on these terms, please feel free to contact us.